Friday, December 31, 2010

Bad reaction

Have you ever gotton out of bed to check the locks, look in every room, every closet, and corner? Well last night I did that not for my sake, but for my dog. I had gotten all settled in bed to read for a while when Bauer started pacing around. He went over to the doorway and peered into the darkness of the house. Clearly, he thought he saw or heard something. He did this for a few minutes. He was uncomfortable to say the least. So I got up. No sense wondering all night. Afterall, they say animals know. And after 7 years, this was new behavior, so I couldn't ignore it.

So I did a walk-thru, finding nothing of course. I looked out all the windows and found nothing that could be irritating him. I let him follow me around the house so he too could see that there was nothing. Satisfied, I got back in bed. He still wasn't happy. It crossed my mind he was seeing a ghost roam our house. Who knows, right? When we lived in Colorado, Bauer and Trotter would bark constantly looking out a window. We'd go to see what it was and never saw a thing. I always joked they were seeing ghosts out there. I was kidding, but let's face it, that would be creepy.

I finally turned on the fan for a little white noise and that seemed to do the trick. But I will admit, we slept with the living room light on just in case. This morning, it happened again. Less fearful of an intruder since it was daylight, I skipped the walk-thru. I turned a fan on again, and it worked.

Bauer had his annual shots yesterday, so I'm thinking this is a bad reaction to the drugs. He's never done this before, so it certianly had me on edge last night. I went to bed having started the first season of Heros and reading a new book about a stalker. Great way to begin the night with a dog scared of the dark. 

I'm sure tonight with the all the fireworks won't be any better.

No comments: