Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Back to back

So perhaps doing back to back days isn't good, at least in the beginning. I started out this afternoon down the trail I did on Monday to repeat the same 3 miles. The first half is all uphill. I have a love/hate relationship with the trail for that very reason. I love the burn, knowing I'm really doing something other than just walking, but I hate the incline b/c it's brutal on my bones, joints, and baby muscles. Then the second half has this killer spiral hill. It's so steep, there's a sign warning wheelchair bound folks not to go down it - I'm totally not kidding. I'll have to get a picture of that. Just when you think you've hit a stride, it shows up to slaughter all hopes of gaining speed. Again, love/hate.

I misjudged the temperature today and wore shorts and a tshirt while it was at least 15 degrees cooler. Maybe more. People were wearing gloves! I thought they were nuts, but as I went along and my tight muscles only got tigher despite all the stretching, I thought just maybe they knew what they were doing. I'll have to pay more attention to that. The whole time, I kept thinking I should turn around - the mental and physical were both beating me up - but I did it anyway. Didn't set any records today, but I hung in there.

When I first started out, I came face to face with a squirrel on the railing next to me and nearly wet my pants. Thank goodness the squirrel was just as scared. He took off for a safer, more private spot. Then on the way back I passed this girl running and smiling - dimples and all. I wanted to slug her with my water bottle (which was still full since I needed to go to the bathroom since seeing the squirrel and didn't think I should add to the pain). Smiling seems to say, nah, it's not that hard, it's a breeze really (eye roll). I feel like if you make a painful face people will think you are working harder. Isn't that true?

So I'm going to have to alternate days between the elliptical and trail. The really great part about all this is my company is giving us time each day to workout. I know - seriously a compelling reason to stay on board. There's a group that walks that same 3 mile trail twice a week, and a couple of them have starting running it. So I just may have to break down during the middle of the work day and do it with them. I hate to come back to work all sweaty though. I tried to explain to the guy organizing it that it's not the same for women. We have the hair and makeup to deal with. But he said, who cares. And I guess that true. I'll just have to suck it up.

So tomorrow, it's the elliptical for me so I can allow my body to somewhat recover. I'm really crossing my fingers Thursday will be easier.

No comments: