Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My 2008 Christmas Letter

This year, in the madness of the season, I’m taking the economical route. I have time to type the letter, just not to make the list, address the envelopes, buy the stamps… so at least this is coming to you in some form. And I hope this finds everyone well.

This has been quite a year for the Stone’s. And of course, every year the “quite” seems even more so than the year before. It’s because I’m getting older, the years really are ticking off quicker, and adult-events are taking place in my life that make 2020 seem way too close. What happened?! This year (and last year for that matter since I neglected a letter altogether) has been full of celebrations, growth, and sadness. Living snugly in the adult world of course also means that friends and family are challenged more and more with health issues and their own grief. Therefore, this year has been full of prayer.

A little about me and what I’m doing. I’m living in Wisconsin Rapids, WI, a town of 18,000. There is tons of snow on the ground already that will stay with us until late spring. No, I don’t like it one bit. The excitement of snow has totally worn off. (That's what living in 2 snow states will do to you - CO and WI.) Snow is one thing. But snow that stays and cold temps below zero are not fun. Basically I hibernate next to the fireplace all winter. Or, if I have to get out, I scamper as quickly as possible to and from the car, packed inside of my big winter coat, scarf, boots, gloves, and occasionally, if I don't care about my hair, a hat. I whine about it, but I'm surviving. I’m working for Renaissance Learning. We sell educational products to schools, both hardware and software. When I first moved here I was developing 4 products in early literacy, reading, math, and writing. Since January 2008, I moved into a new position working in the Information Systems department. I work with a team of 20 programmers who support our internal business systems. I’ve really enjoyed the change and the people. Our company is doing pretty well considering the economy. But since we sell K-12 products, as schools are hit with budget cuts, we will surely be impacted as well. Looking at the job market is a very scary thing. I’m thankful for the early lesson in life rather than later.

In October of 2007, my little brother Heath married Erin Shetter. They met in Colorado (Heath moved to CO b/c I was there, so really I should get the credit for them meeting in the first place), working for the same company, Ferguson and relocated to Lexington, South Carolina. We attended the Baytown, TX bridal shower in September, hosted by several of mom and dad's church friends. Heath and I got to reunite with many people we hadn't seen in years. We all traveled out to SC and had a fabulous weekend. Mom and Dad hosted the Texas-themed rehearsal dinner. The wedding was beautiful, intimate, and lots of fun. Even Mom and Dad tore up the dance floor! They were adorable, of course. It was wonderful to meet all of Erin’s family. They were very gracious with the crazy Texans. :)




Mom (Brenda) is retired but is substitute teaching at 2 of Baytown’s high schools when she wants too. I think it’s been eye-opening for her how much kids have changed since she was teaching. Let’s just say while she’s enjoyed it, it’s been educational for her. Dad is still working at Goodyear Chemicals. I urge him to retire every year, but he’s still out there. He’s found a job that is pretty independent, so I think he’s content for now. Mom and Dad are always busy running around from place to place. To this day, they run circles around me. I have no idea where their motivation and relentless on-the-go attitudes come from. I know I didn’t get that gene. They usually drive out to WI once a year, and we enjoy spending time together, cooking, and visiting the cheese factory. I have to admit, the fresh cheese is to die for.

Mamaw (Eloise Chamblee), my mom’s mother and my only living grandparent, has had a pretty good year at 87 years old. In January we moved her into a different apartment. It’s much nicer with an abundance of natural light. She is very happy and stays busy with church, many friends who visit and call, and of course, all of the places mom and dad drag her around to. She has health concerns every once in a while, but is doing well.

This past spring we got the news that an addition was coming to our family! I drove out to Lexington this summer to spend time with Heath and a-little-bit-pregnant Erin. It has been fun watching her belly grow. We often Skype to see each other via video since we are so spread out. At 30, you’d think my brother would be mature, but he tends to draw on the computer screen and use the webcam features to talk in crazy Wizard of Oz munchkin voices. Very disturbing, I must say. Baby Avery Grace was born a week early on December 8th at 7 pounds 5 ounces, 19.25 inches long. She’s a doll. I’m traveling to meet her this week. I've struggled to find a photo I haven't already posted of her, but since I can't post a Christmas letter without her in it, here's one. I will of course take tons of pictures while I'm there - so check back for updates of the sweetie pie and the cute outfits she'll be forced to wear. My sweet 5 year old golden retriever, Bauer, will be left here at “camp” where he’ll get to have playtime 6 times a day with other dogs his size. He’s always worn out when I pick him up, and it usually takes him 2 days to recover. Needless to say, he enjoys going, so it’s a little easier for mom to drive away knowing he’s in good hands.

I’ve received phone calls, emails, and letters from many of you about trips and babies and new jobs. Thank you for keeping in touch, and I wish many blessings to you as 2009 rolls around the corner. I pray the new year brings stability and hope. To those of you who have been sick, have family with illnesses, or have experienced loss, you are in my thoughts and prayers daily. I do hope the next 12 months will bring you peace.

Please feel free to check my blog throughout the year. I strive to keep it updated, and I've added links to other blogs in case you know some my friends listed. I'm also on Facebook and I must admit, I've found lots of fun surprises there! Tons of people I'd lost touch with. I love hearing from all of you. Please let me know how you are.

Merry Christmas!

Love,

LeeJayne

No comments: