Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Surprises

Life is full of surprises, isn't it? Some good, some bad, some funny, maybe even shocking? Well let's face it, I'm shocked pretty much everyday.

I took Bauer to the vet this morning for his allergic reaction to something... still not sure what caused it, but I'm on the lookout. He's 95% symptom-free. But as we were sitting in the waiting room, a resident cat wondered over and sat next to us. I have to admit I was a little panicked. This would be Bauer's first encounter with a cat in his entire 5.5 years of life. I stopped breathing temporarily, looked around to see if anyone at all was concerned about their cat getting dragged around like a squeaky toy. No one even batted an eye, especially not the brave feline.

To my surprise, Bauer didn't flinch. Wasn't interested, didn't care that this cat was getting attention from me.... nothing. No panting, no drooling, no spastic running around. No squeaker attempts.

Then 2 other cats skidded through the door. I really thought I heard one cat say to the other, "look, we got us a new one today, let's go get him." I thought oh man this is it. We are all going to die by claw attack! Three cats on the loose and me holding on to a 4 feet leash with an 85 pound dog on the other end (he lost 10 pounds since February thanks to the improved nutrition), while standing on a slick linoleum floor... holding on for dear life.

But again, nothing. He just sat there like we were eating popcorn and watching a show. Not sure if he thought they were fake (even though they moved a lot) or possibly even invisible to him. I can't explain it. But very relieved I left without fresh claw marks from head to toe. I've been reading way too many thriller novels lately. I just expect to bleed I guess.

I was reminded how southern my mom is last night. Apparently "era" means "error." In case anyone says to you, "I keep getting an era when I reply to an email" you'll know they really are speaking English, just not very well. :) I laughed a little to hard on that one. Sorry, Mom.

No comments: