Friday, May 21, 2010

For all of my Ipod friends

If you own an Ipod, you'll want to read this, copy it, and save it in a safe place.

 
So I listen to my Ipod in the car with an AUX cable. I was driving back from SC on Tuesday and the sound woudn't work. It was one of those moments when there was as certain song I wanted to hear. So of course I felt a huge let down. Road trips to me = concert in the car. Even though I can't sing, I love to belt it out when it's just me (and Bauer - so far he hasn't howled, so I think he's ok with it and he's not talking, so I'm safe from public humiliation).

 
I came home and tried the headphones. They didn't produce sound either. Then I did what I do best, research on the internet. If you type into Google "ipod no sound" the first result that comes up is a Mac forum. I started reading all these tricks like putting it in the freezer, taking it apart and using a hot glue gun... nothing I was willing to try. I wanted a permanent fix for my 80 GB video treasured Ipod.

 
I kept reading and came across some steps a guy said he used sucessfully to get a replacement Ipod. I'm posting them here because as I called Apple this morning, they worked for me. I'm shocked since I bought my Ipod as a refurbished unit on ebay a few years ago. I never had a warranty. Apple didn't ask and I didn't tell.  Guess they don't care.

 
So here it is:
  1. Call Ipod support at 1-800-275-2273.
  2. The advisor will ask for the serial number on the back of the Ipod (tiny print at bottom). From that, the advisor will know you are out of warranty. This advisor said he could only help me with very general things or it would cost me $30 for troubleshooting.
  3. So then I said I had a "warrany exception" issue. I explained my Ipod had no sound, but if I press the lower right hand side, I do get sound. He knew immediately what I was talking about and agreed that Apple has decided that is a "warranty exception." He escalated me to his supervisor.
  4. The supervisor took my info, gave me a repair ID to give to UPS so they'll take my Ipod, package it, and send to Apple.
  5. Apple will then verify the issue and send me a replacement Ipod. It was that easy. Maybe took me 15 mintues on the phone.
From the message board I read, it's important to say the right things like "warranty exeption" and "no sound unless pressing lower right hand side." Both guys were really nice, and the process was easy. This has been happening at least since 2008 that I could find.

No comments: