Saturday, May 8, 2010

More work to do

The Bellevue area was hit really hard. I work with someone who lost everything out there, as did his other family members.

I went out to a friend's house today in the Opry area. She was sitting outside watching people in hazmat suits empty her home and her daugher's home next door. They had a POD truck carrying out what little they could salvage. (POD is parked between their homes in this pic.) The rest was being destroyed. Her entire home was being gutted. There was nothing we could do for her until she can get back in.

It was heart-wrenching to drive down her street. Cars were parked 2-wide on each side of the street. There wasn't a piece of grass or sidewalk to spare. Crews of people lined the streets, all wearing masks. It was unreal. I've never seen anything like it. I had to park 2 streets away.

When I got out and started walking, my hands were shaking. I just couldn't process the devastation. This neighborhood was not flooded from the rain. It was flooded because engineers had to release water from the dam on Sunday. She left for work on Monday and re-entered her home by boat. Can you imagine that?

I went back to the neighborhood I worked in on Thursday. The Boy Scouts had come through and finished helping everyone who needed it. So I visited with a few residents and then headed home.

No comments: