Friday, July 31, 2009

Yard work

Seriously. Need I say more? Last weekend I trimmed the hedges for the first time. And I should point out that this is the first home in my adult life I've had to take care of the yard work, so I have a garage full of yard things now. I've got the mower, weed-eater, hedge trimmer, and now a blower b/c I finally wised up. You can't really sweep the sidewalk and driveway once you are totally worn out from all the other stuff. So worth the money.

Back to the hedges... so I have a row full of every type of miscellaneous bush you can imagine. Who planted these, I have no idea. What I do know is that no one has trimmed them possibly ever. I didn't even know where to start. So I did what I could to at least make them presentable, but I'm not winning any yard of the week award, I can promise you that. It took me a full 3 days to be able to move my upper body again after that. And can I mention how freaking dangerous that thing is? You could saw off an appendage! Which I'm sure accounts for a lot of the soreness; in my fear, I probably reached out and overextended myself a bit. Better safe than sorry, right?

Tonight I trimmed the yard up. My gosh. What a freaking pain in the BACK!!!! I need a hot soak and a massage for sure. Not to mention I'm covered in grass and dirt, so I need a shower regardless. And I haven't even mowed the yard this weekend - still needs to be done.

When did I get so old I have to devote my weekend to yard work?

If I ever getting it looking decent, I might post a picture. But we ain't there yet. At least guys have stopped giving me business cards for lawn care when I'm out there. That was humiliating.

1 comment:

Jennifer Hunt said...

That blower is awesome, isn't it? Whenever John and I team up to do yard work in the fall I always volunteer to clear the leaves out of the flower beds. Then, instead of raking them up and putting them in a bag I grab the blower and shoot those suckers into the yard, which is technically his domain, and go back inside. Brilliant move, if I do say so myself!